Benefits of an Employee HandbookApril 28, 2016 8:44 am
Writing, maintaining and executing all of the parts of an employee handbook can be a daunting task for any employer. Most new companies hold off writing such a document until their business has grown to a point where it necessary to have a formal list of items to review with each new employee during the on-boarding process. While it may seem overwhelming at first to put into a single document the goals, rules and policies of your company it is a good idea to do so for many reasons. The benefits can be numerous including the following:
- Every employee receives the same information about the rules/policies of the workplace.
- Employees will know what you expect from them (and what they can expect from you).
- Valuable legal protection if an employee later challenges you in court over any human resource issue such as benefits, hiring/firing, workplace rules, discipline, safety and a host of other topics.
Top Benefits of Spelling it all out in an Employee Handbook:
- All employees know and have read the core mission of the company.
- All employees understand the expectations of their job whether it is in regard to workplace attire, hours of operation, expected behaviors, harassment, or even drug and alcohol use.
- All employees will have a written document explaining the benefits whether they are medical, dental, retirement or paid time off.
- All employees and managers will have a written document explaining the need to comply with state and federal laws.
- All employees will understand where to turn to if they need help.
- All rules and specific policies are clearly stated for all employees to read and follow.
- All managers and leadership position understand their role including the consistent and fair dealings with each employee.
- Serves as a reference guide for both the employee and the employer, thereby eliminating common misunderstandings and unreasonable employment expectations.
- Allows all employees regardless of level, to understand the compliance regulations of the company when it comes to technology use/misuse and communications outside and internally within the company.
- Explains all safety regulations and rules so that the work environment can remain a safe and secure place to work.