The enabling legislation requires that the SSUAC shall be governed by a board of thirteen appointed directors:
- Four appointed by the Board of Trustees of the University
- Three appointed by the Governor (at least one shall be a person experienced in financial aspects of real estate development and management, at least one shall be a person experienced in planning, and at least one shall be a person experienced in college administration.
- One appointed by the Salem Chamber of Commerce
- One appointed by the Salem Partnership
- One shall be an individual representing the regional community and appointed by the President of the University
- One shall be the President of the University, ex officio
- One shall be the mayor of the City of Salem, ex officio, or his/her designee
- One shall be the planning director of the City of Salem
Board members serve a 3 year term. All members serve on a volunteer basis without monetary compensation for their service.