(This class is also part of the Human Resource Skills Certificate Program)
Thursday, November 16, 2017
9:00 am – 3:30 pm
The Enterprise Center at Salem State University
The critical skills you will acquire upon completion of this program will help you establish a work climate conducive to managing employee performance. In this session, you will learn how to help employees find meaning in their jobs and stay on course, how to maximize employee input and participation during an appraisal, how to maintain positive communication about expectations versus performance, and how to follow up on agreements reached. Most professional and administrative employees today do not understand how their work is evaluated. The techniques outlined in this class will help you fashion a well-planned and thoughtful process for creating an open atmosphere for discussion and for leading the way for employees personal development and growth.
- Part 1: Are You Ready for Better Appraisals?
- Objectives of Performance Appraisals
- Meet Some Successes and Some Failures
- Do You Put Off Performance Appraisals?
- Benefits of a Well-Planned Appraisal
- How Appraisals Help Employees
- Part 2: Setting the Stage
- Establish the Right Climate
- Are You Part of the Solution or Part of the Problem?
- Help Employees Find Meaning in Their Jobs and Stay on Course
- Case Study 1: Who Will Be Better at Performance Appraisals?
- Part 3: Preparing for More Effective Appraisals
- What Is Meant by Goals and Standards?
- Attitudes and Performance Appraisals
- Employee Preparation for the Appraisal
- Manager Preparation for the Appraisal
- Pitfalls to Avoid
- Elements of a Successful Appraisal
- Develop an Action Plan
- How Employee Performance Directs the Appraisal
- Appraisal Discussion Models
- Case Study 2: What Upset Jess?
- Part 4: Conducting the Appraisal
- Beginning the Appraisal Discussion
- Discussing Unsatisfactory Performance
- Getting an Employee to Talk Freely
- Creating an Open Atmosphere
- Appraisal Questions
- Personal Development and Growth
- The Importance of Attitude
- Closing the Appraisal Discussion
- Part 5: After the Appraisal
- Following Up: Three Suggestions
- Performance Appraisal Checklist for Managers
- Creating a Personal Action Plan
NOTE: Download a parking permit when you register. Print the permit and display it on your dashboard.
REFUND POLICY: 100% refund before the first class meeting. 50% before the second class meeting. No refunds after the second class meeting. In the case of a Salem State Online class, 100% refund before the scheduled start date. No refunds once the Salem State Online class begins. For all other online classes (Gatlin, Ed2go, or MindEdge, no refunds of any kind will be issued). Please call Andrea DiVirgilio at 978-542-6302 for more information.