- This event has passed.
Hiring Top Performers
(This class is also part of the Human Resource Skills Certificate Program)
Friday, October 13, 2017
9:00 am – 3:30 pm
The Enterprise Center at Salem State University
Select the Best Every Time!
A lot has changed when it comes to hiring today – the importance of diversity, the use of e-mail and other technology, and the sheer size of the applicant pool. But the process for success is still the same. Announcing openings; interviewing applicants; choosing and retaining the best talent. Learn how to do it all more effectively in today’s workplace with this indispensable guide.
- What Are You Looking For?
- Finding and Retaining the Best
- The Hiring Skills Inventory
- The Role of Job Audits and Descriptions
- Conducting a Job Audit
- Building a Job Description
- Part Summary
- The Legal Side of Hiring
- Know the Law
- Who Is Protected?
- Affirmative Action
- State and Local Legislation
- Reviewing Résumés and Applications
- The Role of Résumés and Applications
- Reviewing a Résumé
- Evaluating Cover Letters
- Reviewing an Application
- Electronic Applications
- Narrowing the List
- The Value of Telephone Screening
- Interviewing Effectively
- Establishing the Interviewing Process
- Conducting the Interview
- Selling the Organization’s Image
- Evaluating the Candidate
- A Requisite of Employment
- Paper-and-Pencil Tests
- Drug and Alcohol Tests
- Deciding Whether to Test
- Medical Screening
- Conducting Reference Checks
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Questions to Ask of Former Employers
- Evaluating References
- Credential and Credit Checks
- Decision Making and Offers
- Matching the Candidate to the Criteria
- Securing the Best
- Notifying Candidates
- Making the Offer
NOTE: Download a parking permit when you register. Print the permit and display it on your dashboard.
REFUND POLICY: 100% refund before the first class meeting. 50% before the second class meeting. No refunds after the second class meeting. In the case of a Salem State Online class, 100% refund before the scheduled start date. No refunds once the Salem State Online class begins. For all other online classes (Gatlin, Ed2go, or MindEdge, no refunds of any kind will be issued). Please call Andrea DiVirgilio at 978-542-6302 for more information.
The [ticket] holder consents to the use of his or her image, likeness, actions and statements in connection with any recorded audio, photograph, video or other publication of the event.
Tue, Dec. 6, 2022 - 8:30am - 10:00am
Thu, Dec. 8, 2022 - 8:30am - 9:30am
Tue, Dec. 13, 2022 - 8:30am - 10:00am